New to triathlon and have never heard of a brick workout? Well, they are about to become your worst nightmare, but also your best friend! We are going to take you through what a brick workout is, why they are important to your training, as well give you an example of one to use and build upon!
Brick workouts are very overlooked but are one of the most important workouts in training for a triathlon. A brick workout entails stacking two disciplines into a single workout with minimal rest in between, for instance going on a bike ride and then switching over to a run. What this does to help your body prepare itself for a triathlon is train it on how to effectively and efficiently move from one discipline to the next, which is exactly what a triathlon requires! Brick workouts are great for teaching your body how to handle aerobic and muscular demands of triathlons as well preparing for transition areas which was discussed last week!
If you are serious about your training and your races for this season start doing brick workouts today! The benefits will make a noticeable difference on race day and the brick workout is ideal as it works multiple muscles and requires maximum effort! Try out these Brick Workouts created by coach and triathlete, Paolina Allan to start:
It is always good to have everything prepared and laying out during your brick workout. Running shoes, visor, socks, the object is to be as quick as you can in the transition to run, as you will at your triathlon event.
- Warm up 10-15 mins run
- Bike 20 mins (keep cadence at 90 rpm)
- Run 10-15 mins
- Bike 20 mins (keep cadence at 90 rpm – challenge yourself every 4 mins and go 1 gear harder, maintain 90rpm for 30 seconds)
- Run 10-15 mins – fast
- 60 mins progressive bike, the last 30 mins @ 85-90% effort (as you will on race day)
- Run 20-30 minutes, first 5 mins. . . EASY find your legs, progressive build
Session 3 – on the trainer
- Bike 12 mins warm up
- Run 2km easy
- Bike 12 mins all-out effort
- Run 2km negative split, (first km easy, 2nd km FAST)
- Bike 12 mins @ 90rpm
- Run 2km at or above race pace effort
For any questions about these brick workouts contact Paolina Allan at email@example.com